Wheat-flavoured pie crust
½ tsp salt
½ cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch pieces
¼ cup whole wheat flour
1¼ cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 large egg yolk
3 tbsp (or more) ice water
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup pure maple syrup
¾ cup (packed) golden brown sugar
½ cup light corn syrup
1½ cups pecan halves, partially chopped, some left whole
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
juice of half a lemon
Wheat-flavored crust (above)
1. Blend first 4 ingredients in a processor. Add chilled butter and cut in using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Gather dough into ball; flatten dough into disk. Wrap dough in plastic and chill 1 hour. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead)
4. Keep refrigerated. Let dough soften slightly at room temperature before rolling out.
1. Stir syrup, brown sugar, lemon juice, corn syrup and butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves and butter melts. Increase heat and boil 1 minute. Cool to lukewarm, about 45 minutes.
2. Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 180 degree Celsius.
3. Roll out crust dough on lightly floured surface into a 13-inch round shape.
4. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Trim dough overhang to 1 inch. Fold edge under, forming high-standing rim; crimp decoratively. Freeze crust until firm, about 20 minutes.
6. Pour filling into crust. Bake pie until filling is slightly puffed around edges and centre is set, about 55 minutes.
7. Cool pie completely on rack. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead)
8. Let stand at room temperature.
9. To serve, cut pie into wedges.
10. Top with whipped cream for a finishing touch (optional).