1.5 – 2kg boneless beef rib-eye roast
Sea salt and ground black pepper
1 carrot, peeled and roughly sliced
1 onion, peeled and roughly sliced
1 stalk celery, roughly sliced
4 cloves garlic, cut in half
2 sprigs thyme
1 cup red wine
1. Remove the beef from the fridge 1 to 2 hours before cooking. Season generously with sea salt and black pepper. Rub olive oil all over it.
2. Preheat oven to 180° Celsius (360° Fahrenheit).
3. Place the cut vegetables and thyme on the base of a roasting tray and place the beef on top. Roast for about 20 minutes per 500g of meat for medium-rare beef, or until a thermometer placed inserted in the centre of the roast registers an internal temperature of 55° Celsius. Add red wine and a little water to the roasting tray once the vegetables are nicely browned (after about 45 minutes or so).
4. Once the beef is cooked, remove from the oven and loosely cover with foil.
5. Leave to rest in a warm place for 20 minutes before carving. Use the juices from the roasting tray to make gravy.